News Forum

South Sudan attack leaves more than 100 dead

 
 



Go Back   News Forum > Top Stories > Breaking News
Breaking News Forum South Sudan attack leaves more than 100 dead at News Forum - JUBA - More than 100 people have been killed in South Sudan in an attack by rebels and ethnic allies ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
NF Reporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 68,288
Default South Sudan attack leaves more than 100 dead

JUBA - More than 100 people have been killed in South Sudan in an attack by rebels and ethnic allies on a convoy of families from a rival tribe and their cattle, an official said on Sunday. Since breaking from Sudan in 2011, oil-producing South Sudan has struggled to assert control over remote territories awash with weapons after a 1983-2005 war with the north and torn by ethnic rivalries. The attack on Friday was the worst violence in Jonglei State since 900 people were killed there in tribal attacks linked to cattle rustling in 2011, the United Nations said. ...

South Sudan attack leaves more than 100 dead
NF Reporter is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Okolona, Ky.
Posts: 26,911
Unhappy

First violence, now hunger killing So. Sudanese...

After Violence, Hunger Kills Hundreds in South Sudan
February 07, 2014 — A county commissioner in South Sudan's Jonglei state has called for urgent help from international aid agencies after he received reports that villagers are dying of starvation in parts of the county.
Quote:
“The hunger is very severe. People are dying because of the hunger. They have nothing to eat. Even in the shops and the markets, there is nothing that you can buy,” Twic East County Commissioner Dau Akoi Jurkuch said. Officials in the county are still working to establish the exact number of fatalities from hunger, Jurkuch said. He blamed the severe food shortages on a combination of flash floods during last year's growing season, which washed away large swathes of edible crops, and the deadly violence that has raked South Sudan for nearly eight weeks

To make matters worse, thousands of people who fled the state capital, Bor, some 75 miles (120 kiklometers) away, as pro- and anti-government forces fought for control of it, headed to Twic East. Aid workers left the area completely as the fighting raged. Further exacerbating the county's problems, the presence of an anti-government base just outside Twic East has made traders who used to sell food in the county in northern Jonglei state too frightened to travel there.

Jurkuch appealed to humanitarian groups to return to the region and distribute emergency food rations to save lives. “I want to appeal to NGOs and humanitarians that have been working in Twic East and also any other humanitarians that can assist this population because of the hunger and any other services that can be provided,” he said. According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), 70 percent of Jonglei state's population of 1.7 million, or 1.19 million people, are severely food insecure.

The United Nations appealed last week for $1.27 billion to help its agencies and NGOs to strategically position aid supplies for delivery before the start of the rainy season, usually in March. Jurkuch said flood waters from last year still have not fully subsided in some villages in Twic East, posing yet another danger to locals: diseases. "There are issues of malaria, there are issues of diarrhea, there are issues of common cold," he said. "There are people who are sick because there are no drugs in the hospitals and there are no drugs in clinics. So people are just staying like wild animals," he said.

After Violence, Hunger Kills Hundreds in South Sudan

Last edited by waltky; 02-08-2014 at 03:34 AM.
waltky is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Okolona, Ky.
Posts: 26,911
Angry

So. Sudan army 'killed 50 by suffocation'...

South Sudan troops killed 50 civilians by suffocation - report
Mon, 01 Feb 2016 - South Sudan's government troops killed about 50 civilians last October by stuffing them into a shipping container in baking heat, a report has said.
Quote:
The document by the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC), which oversees the country's ceasefire, said the incident took place in Unity State. The government has not commented on the claim - the latest reported atrocities in more than two years of war.


The JMEC report also accused both government troops and rebel forces of rape and looting

Thousands of people have been killed and millions displaced since then. "About 50 people suffocated in a container on about 22 October. The investigation was protracted. Attribution of responsibility: Government Forces," the JMEC report said. The document by the monitoring group, which is backed by the African Union, was made public late on Sunday.


Metal containers are often used as makeshift prison cells in the country. South Sudan's government has repeatedly denied carrying out atrocities in the conflict. The JMEC report also accused both government troops and rebel forces of rape, murder and looting. The civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of plotting a coup. The two sides blame each other for violating the terms of a peace deal agreement reached in August.

South Sudan troops killed 50 civilians by suffocation - report - BBC News
See also:

South Sudan Forces Accused of Leaving 50 People to Suffocate in a Shipping Container
February 1, 2016 | A ceasefire-monitoring group has blamed South Sudanese government forces for the deaths of some 50 people who suffocated in a shipping container last October — the latest gruesome incident to emerge from the country's two-year conflict.
Quote:
The account, which the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC) reported at an African Union (AU) summit on Sunday, allegedly took place in oil-rich Unity State around October 22. Though JMEC offered little detail on the deaths, groups including Human Rights Watch have previously documented the use of metal containers as informal detention sites in South Sudan. The container incident was among five violations of an August ceasefire that JMEC documented in their submission to the AU. Opposition forces were also accused of killing or injuring an estimated 12 people in an attack on a civilian vehicle in Unity on December 18 and raiding and looting United Nations barges in Upper Nile state on October 21.

War broke out in South Sudan in December 2013 between government forces led by President Salva Kiir and rebels allied with Riek Machar, Kiir's former vice president. The two men, who were part of a tenuous regional alliance against Sudan before the South Sudan attained independence in 2011, are from different ethnic groups — Kiir is a Dinka, Machar a Nuer — and much of the initial violence in South Sudan's civil war fell along ethnic lines. According to the International Crisis Group, a conflict-monitoring organization, more than 50,000 people are believed to have died in the fighting, though the true number is unknown.

Under intense pressure from the international community, Kiir and Machar signed a peace deal last August. But, as JMEC noted on Sunday, that agreement and efforts to establish a transitional government have fallen by the wayside amid bickering and intermittent clashes. While some of the war's worst bloodshed occurred in Unity State and other parts of the northeast, new hostilities, often involving smaller local groups with varying grievances against the national government, have been recorded in recent months in other regions.

The JMEC submission comes on the heels of a separate January report issued by a Security Council-appointed panel of experts charged with tracking sanctions in South Sudan. Among the heinous crimes outlined in its findings, the panel cited humanitarian workers who estimated that more than 1,300 women and girls were raped in the country between April and September of last year.

MORE
Related:

African Union Says Crisis in South Sudan Is Worsening
FEB. 1, 2016 — A new report written for the African Union and made public on Monday presented an especially grim picture of South Sudan’s civil war, blaming government forces and rebels for the declining humanitarian situation in the world’s newest country.
Quote:
The nine-page report, written by an evaluation commission for the African Union and dated Jan. 29, listed five violations of a cease-fire agreement, including an episode in October in which government forces were responsible for the deaths of 50 people who died from suffocation inside a shipping container. Investigators said the rebels had looted United Nations barges and ambushed civilians, killing or wounding about a dozen people in an attack in December. “There is limited consolidation of peace, a worrying economic decline and violence ongoing,” the report said. “The economy is in particularly dire straits, with foreign reserves rapidly diminishing, growing inflation and rapid depreciation of the national currency.”


Soldiers in the South Sudanese Army in Eastern Equatoria State last year. The report form the African Union has blamed the rebels and government forces for human atrocities.

South Sudan, which gained independence from Sudan in 2011, has been steeped in ethnic conflict since violence broke out in 2013. Thousands of people have died, thousands more are on the brink of starvation, and there have been repeated allegations of mass rape, massacres of civilians and forced cannibalism. According to another report, prepared by a United Nations panel of experts on South Sudan, both sides in the conflict are trying to build up their arsenals. The government recently bought three military helicopters that have led to “the expansion of the war, and have emboldened those in the government who are seeking a military solution to the conflict at the expense of the peace process,” the United Nations report said. The rebels were also trying to get more arms from “numerous sources, though with comparatively limited success,” that report added.

Western powers and the African Union have tried to broker a lasting agreement between the government, which is dominated by the Dinka ethnic group, and the rebels, who are mostly Nuer, but so far the leaders from both sides appear to be opposed to any immediate reconciliation. A veteran American official who has followed the conflicts in Sudan and South Sudan closely for more than two decades said the violence in South Sudan was the worse it has ever been. “I have never seen such brutality and pain,” said the former official, who did not want to be named for fear of disrupting already tenuous negotiations between the warring parties in South Sudan. “There are people on both sides who are reckless and obstructionists,” he added.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/02/wo...udan.html?_r=0

Last edited by waltky; 02-01-2016 at 11:03 PM.
waltky is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama calls for talks between Sudan, South Sudan NF Reporter Breaking News 2 01-14-2017 02:39 AM
Sudan, South Sudan reach oil deal, exports await border deal NF Reporter Breaking News 1 04-13-2013 01:35 AM
Sudan, South Sudan talks "deadlocked", oil deal threatened NF Reporter Breaking News 1 04-07-2013 09:59 PM
Official: Sudan planes drop 8 bombs on South Sudan NF Reporter Breaking News 2 10-27-2012 02:17 PM
Iraq attack leaves 5 GIs dead; 3 missing NF Reporter Breaking News 0 05-12-2007 08:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.